Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hot Yoga = Hot Bod


Bikram (hot yoga) is, in my opinion, way more invigorating than regular yoga.  


Nothing against regular yoga at all, I still think yoga is amazing.  However, the challenges and mindset of bikram are unlike anything I have ever tried.  Not to mention, the post-bikram feeling is incredible.

-So, what is bikram?



Bikram Yoga sessions run for exactly 90 minutes and consist of a set series of 26 postures including 2 breathing exercises.  Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105°F (≈ 40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%, and is the most popular form of hot yoga.  For further background information, check out the rest of the Wikipedia page here

I have been doing bikram on and off now since July of 2012.  Memberships are VERY expensive, so my trick is to buy Groupon packages!  Most Groupon deals are somewhere along the lines of $40 for 20 classes, $60 for 40 classes.  Why is this better than buying a membership?  Memberships are around $500 for a year.  Most studios don't offer monthly payments either, so that would be a $500 dollar downpayment! 


-What do I bring to a bikram class?

Bikram class requirements:  towel (preferably a beach towel), Ice-cold water bottle, and a yoga mat.  You can wear any kind of gym clothes you want, although I prefer to wear tight yoga shorts and a tank top, or just my sports bra.  The title of hot yoga is no joke, you get HOT and SWEATY.  My clothes are always drenched after every class.

-How do I prepare for bikram?

Bikram is not just physical, it's a mindset you have to put yourself in.  You have to tell yourself YOU want to be there and remind yourself how amazing you will feel when you're done.  Bikram is very hard, but the feeling when you're done is incredible.  Come to class very hydrated and keep hydrated after class.  I've recently been juicing, making my "Green Machine" and drinking that before the class.  The nutrients that the plants and fruits give me provides so much energy that lasts for the whole class.  I like to drink a coconut water (although I'm not a fan of the taste) after the class is over, because it helps hydrate me better than regular water.

-How often should I go to bikram?

Go to bikram as much as you feel like going.  Base how often you go off of how many classes you buy.  Almost two months ago I bought a Groupon for 20 classes so I've been going only once a week, that way I have my one class to look forward to for many weeks!

-Why is bikram so good for you?

I know I've already stated it many times, but there really are NO words to describe the feeling it gives you when you're done.  You really feel like your body is capable of doing anything and it's a very mind-blowing feeling.  Bikram will rid your body of all toxins, loosen your muscles, and elongate your spine.  All of the sweat that is pouring out of your skin is the water full of toxins escaping your body.  It is the water weight you WANT to lose.  It is the water weight your body NEEDS to lose.

I have done bikram with a cold and my cold went away afterward.  I have done bikram on extremely stressful days and I feel rejuvenated after.  I have done bikram on amazing days and I feel even more amazing after.  Bikram really is wonderful no matter what kind of day you're having.



Also remember, like everything else, practice makes perfect.  You aren't going to nail all of the poses your first or second time and you'll probably have to lay down once or twice to relax.  The more you go, the more you'll fall in love with it and the easier it gets.  I still struggle with some poses, but I know in the weeks to come they will look much better!

Stay limber! ;-)

-C

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I like hot yoga and it can take me comfortable feelings and Flat seams minimise friction. The specialized fabric allows for a better body fit, effectively absorbing sweat without fading and keeping you dry during your exercise session.

    BeUp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reading your blog this blog is amazing & your blog about Yoga.
    hot yoga mat

    ReplyDelete